4. Pre-Construction Meeting
Building a home is a tremendous task and requires commitment by all parties to be successful. As we spend the next several months together, we want your experience with us to be truly enjoyable. In order to expedite the construction process and enable us with the information to deliver the home of your dreams on your scheduled closing date, Lichty Brothers Homes conducts a Pre-construction meeting for all its customers. The purpose of this meeting is to introduce you to the construction team, review your contract, review your site plan and floor plan, discuss any desired changes, and make your selections. At the conclusion of this meeting, your project manager should clearly know what to build and any "gray" areas have been identified as open issues with clear issue owners and expected resolution dates.
Please set aside a few days to prepare for your Pre-construction Meeting. Your preparation for this meeting is critical and involves your thorough evaluation of your home needs/desires, floor plan, site plan (house placement and landscaping), and selections. In order to assist you in your preparation, Lichty Brothers Homes has included several items in this chapter and in New Home Selection, Chapter 5, that we feel will be helpful. We want you to be comfortable with the decisions you will be making during our meeting and want all of us to avoid any feelings of pressure or stress.
In addition to the items contained in this manual, you will need a copy of your contract, your communities standard features sheet, an options and upgrades sheet, and your floor plan. Your sales agent has copies of all these documents and can assist you in locating any missing documents.
These are general question to help you determine your future home needs and desires. Your answers can be verbal, written and/or pictorial and will greatly assist you in addressing the items on our Pre-construction meeting checklist.
- What things do you like about your current home? What things do you NOT like about your current home?
- What features or construction materials in a new home do you find most desirable?
- How many cars do you own? What sizes are they? Is there any additional garage storage required?
- If you purchased a home with a basement, how do you plan on using it initially? Do you require any considerations for current or future basement finishing? How do you plan on accessing your basement? What size doors will you require and where?
- What do you want the front elevation of your home to look like (windows, doors, colors, materials, accents, etc)?
- Any special garage door designs?
- Do you have any special landscaping, driveway, low voltage lighting, and/or irrigation requests?
- How would you like your fireplace(s) to be designed (hearth, mantel, surround)?
- Do you have any special lighting requirements for accent lights, recessed/can lights, under cabinet lights, flood lights, ceiling fans, special fixture locations, outlet locations, and exterior garage and porch lights?
- Do you have any special low-voltage requirements for home audio, networking, security, lighting controls, intercoms, and/or home management systems?
- What are your plumbing requirements for fixture types, finishes, laundry sink location, external hose bib locations, hot water heater type/location, and master tub/shower type/colors?
- Do your have any special insulation requirements?
- Do you have any special considerations for Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)?
- Where do you require gas supply stubs to be located?
- Do you have any special drywall finish considerations?
- Do you have any special considerations or designs for your kitchen?
- Do you have any special appliance needs (i.e. ice maker, alt laundry room, etc.)?
- Do you have any special considerations or designs for your master bathroom?
- What would you like for your cabinet and countertop types, locations, and colors?
- What types of flooring materials do you want and where is each type located?
- Do you have any special interior trim requirements?
- How would you like your stair system to be designed?
- What style of interior doors would you like?
- What requirements do you have for door hardware, shower enclosures, bath hardware, mirrors, and shelving?
- What interior paint colors would you like for your rooms and your interior trim?
- Do you have any hobbies or activities that require special building considerations?
- Do you own any furniture or art that requires special building considerations?
See your sales agent for a list of showrooms to visit.
This is the checklist your project manager will use when conducting your Preconstruction meeting. The results of these items will be documented on your redlined floor plan and/or your Selections and Specifications Sheet (detailed in New Home Selection, Chapter 5).
|Review plat, lot, site plan, house setting/placement||____|
|Discuss roof design and shingle color||____|
|Review roof returns, eyebrows, brackets, porch design||____|
|Discuss siding materials, locations, and colors||____|
|Discuss standard exterior corner trim and any special designs or materials||____|
|Confirm cornice design, material, and color (frieze, return, crown, etc.)||____|
|Discuss shutter type, design, and color||____|
|Review entry door design to confirm standards||____|
|Confirm dormer, gable and eave overhang measurements and details||____|
|Windows properly sized and minimum egress provided||____|
|Confirm window locations, color, type (Grills or 1/1 Clear)||____|
|Discuss landscaping considerations||____|
|If required, locate fire box location and size||____|
|Identify brick ledge requirements||____|
|Confirm garage floor elevation and steps to finished floor level||____|
|Confirm joist direction and size||____|
|Confirm joist spans, beam locations/sizes and cantilever locations||____|
|Note roof construction; trusses; scissors; vaulted; cathedral; rafter size||____|
|Locate electric, low voltage, hot water & HVAC and confirm adequate chases/flume||____|
|Are floor drains or special plumbing locations needed||____|
|Confirm window locations||____|
|Locate double door||____|
|Determine future bath location||____|
|If required determined septic pump/lift or other misc. system locations||____|
|Locate any desired LVL or Floor system changes||____|
|Confirm that a location is provided for the fire door to the basement||____|
|FIRST AND SECOND FLOOR:|
|Determine attic access location(s), scuttle door, flume and chase requirements||____|
|Discuss Master Bedroom and Bath ceiling design||____|
|Discuss any shown sloped ceiling location and any other ceiling designs desired||____|
|Discuss the changing/deleting of wall partitions||____|
|Determine any required wall size or window placement adjustments for furniture||____|
|Confirm second floor window egress requirements||____|
|Locate electric outlet/switch, fixture and low voltage locations||____|
|Locate can lights and any other special lighting requirements||____|
|Discuss fireplace types, locations, options, mantels, surrounds, and color||____|
|Determine if TV or other niches are desired||____|
|Discuss kitchen, laundry, baths cabinet configurations, types, styles, and colors||____|
|Discuss any desired built-ins and determine location, cofig, type, style, color||____|
|Adjust window, doors, knee walls to accommodate cabinet layouts||____|
|Discuss countertop types, locations, and colors||____|
|Discuss and locate all plumbing fixture, tub, and shower types/finishes/options||____|
|Locate 2 × 6 walls for plumbing and mechanicals||____|
|Discuss bath hardware, glass enclosures, and mirrors||____|
|Discuss appliance options||____|
|Discuss HVAC and insulation options||____|
|Discuss drywall, corner bead and passageway (arches/pass-through) options||____|
|Confirm flooring materials, locations, and colors||____|
|Discuss interior trim standards and options. Redline all non-standard details.||____|
|Discuss interior door styles and confirm door swings||____|
|Discuss Cased Opening/SR Rap locations (considering cabinet upper’s crown O/H)||____|
|Discuss stair, handrail, newel, and baluster types and designs||____|
|Discuss hinge and door hardware type and finish||____|
|Discuss interior paint type, colors and locations||____|
|Discuss any special system, material, finish, etc. desired in home||____|